Sunday, March 12, 2006

Fairy Tale

I knew, the topic is going to be THE MATCH between Aus and RSA every where played at Wanderers(Wonders), Johannesburg. That was fabulous and exceptional chase from South Africans. I thought Gibs will be the man to reach 200. If SA's strategy was to score 9 RPO, they executed it perfectly.

While playing Stick Cricket, I used to think how it will be if it happens in real life, boundary almost every 2nd ball.... here goes the match. At the end of Aus innings, I truly believed such glorious records has stay unbroken for a long long time or tooooooooooo short.

During the lunch, I thought only Indian team might have tried making a good contest, given the recent performances. But South Africans for the first time have overcome the "chokers" tag and astonished many including my room mate Suresh. At one point he said that even 299 was more than enough for the Aussies to defend (though he believes in Australian team's strength, he has more belief in SA's chokers tag, they fail to perform in crucial situation, even if the total is dismal).

To be simple it was SA's day, during 1999 world cup, when Gibbs dropped Steven Vaugh's catch, commentator said, they lost the WC. Any yesterday, when Gibb's catch was dropped, I recalled those words and was sure Australia dropped the match. Some how, SA teams plan worked, Gibb's promotion to 1 down, and Van der Wath ahead of Telemachus ... etc.

Still I feel, these kind of matches can be imagined/played on a PC game (take EA's cricket 2003) but its hard to believe, such a match was really played.

Well everybody is saying around me, highlights for this match will be a full match :-)

If u missed it, don't worry just tune into ESPN or Start Sports, it will be aired many a times. But u won't get the same feel watching it live. I was one of those who enjoyed it live.

To add, my colleagues went for a marriage reception and and called me up for score updates, they were not able to enjoy the reception and I could hear the joy from the other end every time my update was positive.

Finally, would it had been India (instead of SA), the whole nation would have celebrated it at least for a week.

The Match 12th March 2006

3 comments:

CC said...

nenu chusa nenu chusa live :-)

Suresh Maridi said...

Hi, Nenu kuda oka essay rasaa.. on THE match. :)

Suresh Maridi said...

Nenu oka essay rasaa.. on THE match